Connect with us

News

Labour Ends Three-Day Warning Strike, As Fayemi Bows To Workers

Published

on

Kayode Fayemi, Governor, Ekiti State

The organised labour in Ekiti State, on Monday, called off the three-day warning strike embarked upon by workers in the state public service over their welfare and sundry issues.

The organised labour, comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress, the Trade Union Congress and the Joint Negotiating Council, had on Sunday ordered the commencement of the strike on Monday following the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum it earlier issued to the state government.

A communiqué at the end of a meeting between the state government and organised labour made available to journalists on Monday showed that the government had succumbed to the workers’ demands, which prompted the strike to be called off.

The workers had complied with the strike on Monday as they stayed away from their desks, while government offices remained shut on the orders of the organised labour.

The communiqué titled, ‘Resolution at the meeting of the state government with the organised labour on the outstanding welfare issues of Ekiti State workers’ was signed by the Head of Service, Mrs Peju Babafemi; the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Labour, Chief Olayemi Esan; and Permanent Secretary, Service Matters, Mr Bayo Opeyemi, for the government.

Signatories on the side of labour were the state chairmen of the NLC, Kolapo Olatunde; TUC, Sola Adigun; and JNC, Kayode Fatomiluyi; and the secretaries of the JNC, Gbenga Olowoyo; TUC, Kuloogun Lawrence; and NLC, Taiwo Akinyemi.

Among the resolutions are “That the state government will ensure continuous payment of the monthly gross salaries; and that payment of the financial benefits of 2015 promotion will be implemented in September, while payments for 2017, 2018 and 2019 will follow.”

Meanwhile, medical doctors in Ondo State, under the auspices of the National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners, have suspended their industrial action.

ALSO READ: Legendary Real Madrid Goalie, Casillas Retires At 39

The doctors embarked upon the strike action in June following the inability of the state government to accede to their demands, which bordered on improving their welfare packages.

In a statement on Monday by the state Chairman of the NAGGMDP, Dr Oluwafemi Aina, the body noted that strike was suspended after the government acceded to some of its demands.

According to him, the demands include “the immediate domestication of the special COVID-19 hazard and risk (life) insurance for all our members, who are part of the frontline health care providers in the state.”

In a related development, the Ondo State Government, on Monday, said it had expended the sum of N3.1bn to offset the outstanding allowances and bonuses of workers, including health officers in the state.

The government said the payment was made during the last Sallah festival.

This was contained in a statement issued by the state Commissioner for Information, Mr Donald Ojogo.

According to the statement, the agreement for the payment was the outcome of last month’s meeting between Governor Rotimi Akeredolu and the leaders of the organised labour unions in the state.

(PUNCH)

 291 total views,  3 views today

The views expressed in this article/story do not reflect the opinion of Oasis Magazine.
Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected].

Also, for breaking news or eye witness report, contact us on: SMS/Whatsapp- 08037546724
Email- [email protected]

Facebook

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Trending News