Connect with us

News

Lai Mohammed: New Report On Lekki Shootings Shows CNN Is Desperate

Published

on

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has said that the second report on the Lekki shootings at the toll plaza that happened on October 20 shows that CNN is desperate.

The Minister said thiis on NTA during a live programme on Wednesday.

Oasis Magazine on Tuesday reported that CNN released a second ‘investigative report’ on the shootings at Lekki toll plaza during the #EndSARS protests despite threats of sanction from the Federal Government.

The minister who faulted CNN’s reports, said it lacked credible sources.

Speaking about CNN’s second report, Mohammed said, “It shows that they (CNN) are desperate. The so-called recent development has been seen before. There is nothing new. If there is anything new, it is a contradiction of CNN’s position.

“What we are asking CNN is that where is your evidence? The military has been consistent. CNN contravenes the basic principles of journalism – fairness, and balance.

ALSO READ: Nnamdi Kanu: Arresting Senator Abaribe, Sure Way To Chaos, MASSOB Warns

‘They did the story without contacting the Federal Government for its own side. They relied on second and third parties narratives.

“They (CNN) were caught spreading fake news and they are trying to escape.

“We are accusing them (CNN) of basing their stories on videos sourced on social media. CNN has been inconsistent. It also doctored the video it got.

“We are confident in our position.”

On the letter addressed to Jonathan Hawkins, VP (Communications), CNN Centre, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, the minister said, “We have received an acknowledgment and we were told that the letter has been passed to the editorial team.”

Punch reports that CNN, in its second report titled, ‘Analysis of CCTV footage from Lekki toll gate raises new questions about shooting’, stated that it had obtained the video and subsequently analysed its content.

CNN also compared the CCTV footage with some of the videos on social media which the National Broadcasting Commission had sanctioned three local television stations for using and concluded that the authorities had more questions to answer.

In the new CNN report, the Commander, 81 Division, Brig.Gen Ahmed Taiwo, is seen admitting before the judicial panel that his men indeed took live ammunition to the tollgate.

Also, the CNN report also highlights the fact that Brig.Gen Taiwo’s claim is different from that of the minister who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.

Facebook

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending News