President Donald Trump has said that he may seek to build his own online platform after Twitter permanently suspended his account less than two weeks before the end of his presidency.
Trump, tweeting from the @POTUS account on Friday night after Twitter banned @realDonaldTrump, wrote that he and his team are looking at the possibility of “building out our own platform in the near future.”
Adding: “As I have been saying for a long time, Twitter has gone further and further in banning free speech, and tonight, Twitter employees have coordinated with the Democrats and the Radical Left in removing my account from their platform, to silence me – and YOU, the 75,000,000 great patriots who voted for me.”
“Twitter may be a private company, but without the government’s gift of Section 230 they would not exist for long,” Trump continued, referring to his longstanding criticism of a key liability protection for tech companies that he has pushed to repeal.
He continued: “I predicted this would happen. We have been negotiating with various other sites, and will have a big announcement soon, while we also look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future.”
He added: “We will not be SILENCED!”
The Hill reports that Trump’s tweets were quickly removed from the page but were viewed before disappearing.
A copy of the president’s statement was also shared with reporters covering the White House.
Attempts by Trump to circumvent the ban using the @POTUS or @WhiteHouse handles will be removed, a Twitter spokesperson told The Hill.
“As stated in our ban evasion policy, if it is clear that another account is being used for the purposes of evading a ban, it is also subject to suspension,” the spokesperson said.
“For government accounts, such as @POTUS and @WhiteHouse, we will not suspend those accounts but will take action to limit their use.”
Twitter announced earlier Friday night that it would permanently suspend Trump’s main account after determining that his posts pose “the risk of further incitement of violence.”
The platform had previously suspended the president from tweeting for 12 hours amid fallout over Wednesday’s riot at the Capitol.
Twitter’s permanent suspension comes as Facebook announced Thursday it would be suspending Trump’s access until at least President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, with the potential for it to be extended further.
Snapchat also suspended Trump indefinitely, and Shopify moved to take down stores run by the Trump organization and Trump campaign after the riot.
A Reddit spokesperson on Friday also announced it would be banning the forum called r/DonaldTrump after repeated violations regarding posts about the riot at the Capitol.
Twitter had previously taken down two of Trump’s posts Wednesday – a video urging his supporters who broke into the Capitol to retreat while simultaneously praising the mob and repeating disputed claims about voter fraud, and another tweet with a similar message.
Following two additional tweets – one of which stated that his voters have been “disrespected” and “treated unfairly,” the other revealing he would not be attending Biden’s inauguration – Twitter announced the decision to permanently ban the president’s personal account.
In a statement, the platform said the president’s tweets “must be read in the context of broader events in the country and the ways in which the President’s statements can be mobilized by different audiences, including to incite violence, as well as in the context of the pattern of behavior from this account in recent weeks.”
“After assessing the language in these Tweets against our Glorification of Violence policy, we have determined that these Tweets are in violation of the Glorification of Violence Policy and the user @realDonaldTrump should be immediately permanently suspended from the service,” the company added.
US Election: Dominion Voting Systems Files $1.3B Defamation Suit Against Giuliani
How My Father Became The Oldest Man of Toru-Angiama Thrice Before He Died —Peresine Watchman
JUST IN: No Eviction Order To Herdsmen In South West, Says Governors
FECOTECH Asaba: Group Petitions Provost Over Alleged Injustice Against Orife
Wike Disowns 2023 Presidential Campaign Posters In Abuja
Mob Kills Two Suspected Killers Of Council Chair in Taraba
Membership Registration: APC Plotting To Generate Fictitious Figures – PDP
Delta Schools To Begin Second Term January 11
Plaza Dedication: Ogboru Names Building After Late Mother
Abraka: Suspected Yahoo Boy Caught Trying To Dispose Corpse Of Girlfriend After Allegedly Killing Her
CSP Erhabor Who Rejected N864M Bribe Resigns From Police After 30 Years Of Service…See Reason
BREAKING: FEC Approves 65 Years As New Retirement Age For Teachers
We’ll Soon Start War In Edo —Herdsmen
Chief Watchman Goes Home, As Family Announces Funeral Activities
News15 hours ago
Gunmen Attack Military Post In Sapele, Kill One Army Officer
Community News22 hours ago
JUST IN: Oruarivie Abraka Kingdom Gets New PG
Entertainment11 hours ago
Nollywood Actor, Dan Nkoloagu Dies At Age 83
News23 hours ago
Gunmen Abduct Immigration Spokesperson In Benin
Education11 hours ago
Breaking: FG Releases N40 Billion Earned Allowances To ASUU