Connect with us

News

774, 000 Jobs: Keyamo Dares Senate, Says “I Am Not Bound By Illegal Resolution Of NASS”

Published

on

Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo has described the resolution of the National Assembly on recruitment of 774,000 youths into public works programme as illegal, Observer Times has said.
The National Assembly had directed the DG, NDE to bring his plans for the execution of the Program for scrutiny and approval.
Minister of Labour, Productivity and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige had apologized to the leadership of the National Assembly over last week’s face-off between the Minister of State For Labour, Festus Keyamo and the joint Senate and House Committees on Labour, Productivity and Employment.
The Minister tendered an apology on Tuesday in an address delivered when he led a delegation from the Ministry on a visit to the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, at the National Assembly, Abuja.
Ngige said: “Having visited your domain to the Joint Committee on Labour, Productivity and Employment over some issues of the Special Public Works Programme of the Federal Government, a Programme that was designed by the Executive with the legislature, if the Executive makes a proposal and it is not funded, then that proposal will be dead on the table.
“We deeply regret the incident that happened, the altercation that followed it, between my Minister of State and members of the Joint Committee.
Therefore, we decided that as a team, we would come with full force and give the necessary information that we need so that we can fast track this Programme which was designed from the office of the President before the COVID-19.
“We must work hand-in-hand without acrimony or even drawing a very rigid line of who has this power and who doesn’t. That is the only way the programmes of government can be made sustainable and executed for the benefit of our people.”
But, Keyamo in his reaction to the resolution of National Assembly said he will not succumb to the directive of the lawmakers because it is illegal.
The Minister said, “My involvement in this process so far is to constitute multi-sectoral Committees at State levels to ensure a grassroots selection process.
“This was done after an inter-Ministerial Committee headed by the DG NDE made such a recommendation which I accepted. As stated above, I am authorized to do so by virtue of Section 16 (1) of the NDE Act. As a result all the sponsored allegations and attacks in relation to my role so far are nothing but cheap blackmail. My actions are backed by law.
“In the circumstances of the above, I regret to say I am not bound by such a patently illegal and unconstitutional resolution by the National Assembly and I am only bound by the provisions of the law and the Constitution that all public officers swore on oath to uphold.”

 391 total views,  3 views today

The views expressed in this article/story do not reflect the opinion of Oasis Magazine.
Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected].

Also, for breaking news or eye witness report, contact us on: SMS/Whatsapp- 08037546724
Email- [email protected]

Facebook

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending News